..and it's been done! Once again!
City of Toronto Council has approved changes to the Toronto Land Transfer Tax that mean additional Toronto Land Transfer Tax costs for some home buyers with a closing date on or after March 1, 2017, when it will be harmonized with the provincial LTT.
Click HERE to see the detailed City of Toronto Notice on the "original" proposed changes posted in December 2016 (NOTE: changes made to original proposals as per below).
The following changes to the Toronto Land Transfer Tax were considered and approved by Toronto City Council on February 15, 2017. The changes are effective AS OF MARCH 1, 2017, for real estate transactions closing on or after this date:
- Added an additional LTT of 0.5% of the value of a residential or non-residential property from $250,000 to $400,000 (an additional $750)
- Added an additional LTT of 0.5% of the value of a residential property above $2 million
- Added an additional LTT of 0.5% of the value above $400,000 of a non-residential property
- Increasing the maximum allowed First-Time Home Buyer Rebate to $4,475, up from $3,725
- Amended the first-time home buyer rebate program eligibility rules to restrict rebate eligibility to Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada
TREB Efforts Achieved Significant Concessions – First-Time Buyers Protected
TREB undertook a comprehensive campaign to oppose the proposed changes. As a result of these efforts, significant concessions were made to the proposals that went forward for City Council's consideration as follows:
- Under the original proposal, first-time buyers would have been forced to pay an additional $475 in Toronto LTT. However, TREB pushed for an increase in the rebate from $3,725 to $4,475, meaning first-time buyers will not face an increase.
- Many first-time buyers would have lost eligibility for the first-time buyer rebate entirely, meaning a total LTT increase of $4,475. TREB pushed back and all first-time buyers will be eligible for a rebate.
- As a result of TREB's efforts, first-time home buyers will NOT see any change.
Looking to buy, sell or refinance? Know your options. I can help! Direct line: 416-219-6662.